This time of year we often eat and drink more than we usually do as we celebrate with family and friends. Unfortunately our merriment can lead to digestive pain, bloating and wind which is uncomfortable, not to mention frequent trips to the bathroom which can spoil our fun. Here are my top 8 tips on how to avoid digestive distress and party in moderation:
- Eat a good meal before going out to avoid snacking on fried and processed foods which not only add unwanted calories but can leave you feeling nauseous.
- Moderate your alcohol intake by adding ice to wine or spirits and alternating each alcoholic drink with a non-alcoholic beverage like sparkling mineral water.
- Avoid soft drinks and other fizzy drinks laden in sugar or artificial sweeteners. These drink turn off your appetite satiety switch and make you crave more empty calories.
- If you know you’re going to eat something that may upset your digestion, take two Bioceuticals Multigest digestive enzymes with water before you go out. They may help to ease the bloating and bowel issues that can occur with too much rich food.
- If you have eaten too much and are experiencing heartburn, try 1 teaspoon (or swallow 3 capsules) of Slippery Elm bark powder mixed in warm water as a natural ant-acid. Avoid taking Slippery Elm simultaneously with prescribed medications and separate by 1 hour.
- Fresh air, exercise and fresh lemon juice in a large glass of filtered water the next morning can also aid recovery from digestive excess.
- A quality herbal liver tonic such as Mediherb Livton can aid digestion of too many rich foods and alcoholic drinks. Take 2 tablets after a big night out and 1 hour apart from prescribed medications. Consult your health care practitioner first to check if it’s right for you.
- A high potency multi-strain probiotic supplement such as Orthoplex Multiflora will provide your digestive system with all the healthy bacteria it needs to combat bloating, flatulence and bowel issues. One capsule before bed and one capsule on rising will often alleviate such symptoms quickly.
All of these quality practitioner supplements are available right here at Enhance Wellness Center. Talk to our experienced Naturopath to help decide which supplement is right for you and how to party wisely.